What early orthodontic treatments are used for children?

Dustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Some of the more common early orthodontic treatments that may help children include:

Braces. Some children may be able to benefit from having braces, even partial ones, at an early age. They can be used in treating crossbites and preventing damage to supporting structures.

Palatal Expander. This is used to treat severe crossbite, when the upper teeth are abnormally located on the inside of the lower teeth, in the reverse relationship than normal.

Headgear. This can be used as a treatment for buck teeth or severely protruding front teeth.

Face Mask. This is a treatment that can be used for an underbite, where the upper jaw is trapped inside the lower jaw, in the reverse relationship than normal. Additionally, the orthodontist may perform extractions if there is severe crowding taking place.

All in all, seeing an orthodontist can help to ensure that your child will have crooked teeth straightened, and that erupting teeth will be guided into place. They will also watch to make sure that any bite problems are addressed.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

When should I take my child to see an orthodontist?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
If your child is approaching the age of seven, it's time to make an appointment for an initial e...
Can I wear braces if I'm pregnant?
Because women who are pregnant may experience sensitive teeth and gums, braces may add to this disco...
What are orthodontics and orthodontic treatment?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialty of dentistry. Its focus is on correcting misaligned teeth and j...
Is orthodontic treatment necessary?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontic treatment not only makes your smile look better, it also make the teeth easier to care f...