What early orthodontic treatments are used for children?

Dustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Some of the more common early orthodontic treatments that may help children include:

Braces. Some children may be able to benefit from having braces, even partial ones, at an early age. They can be used in treating crossbites and preventing damage to supporting structures.

Palatal Expander. This is used to treat severe crossbite, when the upper teeth are abnormally located on the inside of the lower teeth, in the reverse relationship than normal.

Headgear. This can be used as a treatment for buck teeth or severely protruding front teeth.

Face Mask. This is a treatment that can be used for an underbite, where the upper jaw is trapped inside the lower jaw, in the reverse relationship than normal. Additionally, the orthodontist may perform extractions if there is severe crowding taking place.

All in all, seeing an orthodontist can help to ensure that your child will have crooked teeth straightened, and that erupting teeth will be guided into place. They will also watch to make sure that any bite problems are addressed.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How can early orthodontic treatment help my child's self-esteem?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Early, or Phase I, orthodontic treatment can help correct problems like severe crowding, teeth that ...
Do I have to see my dentist if I am also seeing my orthodontist?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Yes, your primary dentist is still the best caretaker of your overall dental health. Your orthodonti...
Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
What is malocclusion of the teeth?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Malocclusion, (literally, unhealthy-bite), can be caused by underdevelopment of the jaws that hold t...