What could happen to my child's teeth if they do not get a bonded retainer?

Dustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
If your child does not get a bonded dental retainer, the teeth might shift or crowd over time. The natural aging process includes a reduction in the space available for the lower front teeth. With this in mind, many orthodontists offer bonded dental retainers to prevent unwanted shifting of the lower front teeth. Many patients elect for a removable retainer, instead of a bonded retainer. The decision should be discussed with your orthodontist and your child, as there are benefits and risks to both types of retainers (removable versus bonded). In either scenario, wearing a retainer to prevent unwanted shifting and crowding of the teeth should include periodic visits to your orthodontist to monitor the retention of a stable and healthy bite and beautiful smile.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What is malocclusion of the teeth?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Malocclusion, (literally, unhealthy-bite), can be caused by underdevelopment of the jaws that hold t...
Are orthodontists only needed for difficult cases?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
This is a trick question because it may take an orthodontist to determine whether or not a case is d...
What if I get a canker sore while wearing braces?
Canker sores are common while wearing braces. Cankers are sores that develop on the gums or inside t...
When should I take my child to see an orthodontist?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
If your child is approaching the age of seven, it's time to make an appointment for an initial e...