What are ClearCorrect braces?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
ClearCorrect is a clear aligner system similar in some ways to Invisalign. The clear aligners provide a directional force to the teeth and help move the teeth into an ideal position. Each ClearCorrect tray moves the teeth .25-.30 mm and after a whole series of trays the teeth move into the desired position. Each system uses a clear tray but the process of creating the trays and the process of dictating the movements is different. Both systems use an age old technique of moving the teeth in a model and then creating a vacuum formed clear tray. Each tray is worn for 2-3 weeks full time (20-22 hours per day).

Just as each clear aligner system is different, they are also different between different providers that use them. I like to use the analogy of the exact same pair of scissors used by different hairstylists. You may dictate the same hairstyle to two different hairstylists and they may use the same pair of scissors, but in the end you will probably get two different haircuts, even if they are using the same pair of scissors. Invisalign and ClearCorrect are only "force systems", like braces, and in the hands of different providers you may get a different result.

ClearCorrect braces are quite different than traditional metal braces. Instead of having brackets and wires attached to your teeth, ClearCorrect braces are actually a series of “aligners” or trays, similar to what you might have seen with some teeth whitening products. You can take these transparent trays off when you eat and drink, and when you brush your teeth. But while you’re wearing the ClearCorrect braces the rest of the day and night, they still move your teeth a little at a time, just like regular braces.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Why is early orthodontic treatment important?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, children should have their first appoint...
What if I get a canker sore while wearing braces?
Canker sores are common while wearing braces. Cankers are sores that develop on the gums or inside t...
How do I clean my retainer?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
You can brush it with a brush and toothpaste. Soaking in peroxide for several minutes everyday will ...
How can an orthodontist help straighten my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Orthodontics are used to treat a malocclusion ("bad bite"), to straighten teeth, and to correct ...