Are orthodontists only needed for difficult cases?

If you have an abnormal bite your dentist may recommend braces or another orthodontic treatment to straighten out your smile. Orthodontic treatment may be provided by your dentist or an orthodontist, a dentist who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of dental and facial irregularities. It will depend on the orthodontic experience of your dentist and the severity of your case.

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
This is a trick question because it may take an orthodontist to determine whether or not a case is difficult or not. Some seemingly easy cases can be changed into difficult surgery cases merely by placing the brackets in the wrong place. The advantage that orthodontists have over general dentists who do braces "part time" is that they have the training and experience necessary to recognize which cases are easy and which are difficult. Would you go to your family physician for minor eye surgeries?
Orthodontists can diagnose and develop treatment plans for simple and very difficult cases. Because of the orthodontists' specialty training, they are trained to deal with a wide variety of challenging mouths. Some people may have needs that go beyond orthodontic care alone, so an orthodontist might need to have you see an oral surgeon, endodontist, periodontist, or some other dental specialist.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I know if my teeth are crooked and my bite misaligned?
To find out if your teeth are crooked and misaligned, see your dentist. Your dentist will take X-ray...
What is orthodontics?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics is the branch of dentistry that deals with the appearance, function, and alignment of t...
What tools can help me keep my braces and teeth clean?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Keeping your teeth clean with braces can be difficult. The best tools to use are still a toothbrush ...
How can an orthodontist help straighten my teeth?
An orthodontist goes through 2-3 years of additional training after dental school to become a specia...