Is a custom mouth guard better than other mouth guards?

Custom mouth guards are durable and make it easier to breathe and speak. Listen as Dr. Maria Lopez Howell explains why talking to your dentist about a mouth guard could help save your smile.

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

Traditional $5 mouthguards from the discount store are formed to the teeth by being boiled in hot water and then being adapted to the teeth using one's own mouth and fingers. A custom mouth guard is made on an exact replica of the teeth (a plaster model) where the superheated rubber is pressure formed around the teeth. This pressure produces a tight fit that makes the mouth guard more comfortable and tighter (so it stays in better during trauma). There is no comparison in the way they fit.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I floss if I have braces?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the very best products for people of any age with braces is an oral irrigator/water flosser. ...
What are complications of getting a clear plastic dental retainer?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
In a recent on-line poll of orthodontic offices 64% of the responding specialists reported using cle...
What is malocclusion of the teeth?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Malocclusion, (literally, unhealthy-bite), can be caused by underdevelopment of the jaws that hold t...
What causes crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
You can inherit traits like a small jaw, big teeth, or missing teeth from your parents that can lead...