How common are metal braces in children?

Metal braces are very common among children. According to 2008 statistics from the American Association of Orthodontists, more than 78% of the 4.8 million people wearing braces was under the age of 18. Most people get braces between the ages of 9 and 14, so metal braces remain very common among children.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I clean my retainer?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
You can brush it with a brush and toothpaste. Soaking in peroxide for several minutes everyday will ...
Am I too old to get braces?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...
What if I get a canker sore while wearing braces?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
A common cause of canker sores is braces. Loose orthodontic wire can irritate the mouth. These typic...
Why is orthodontic treatment important?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthodontic treatment is important for several reasons. Alignment of the teeth and jaws can prevent ...