How can I help my child feel good wearing a clear plastic dental retainer?

To help your child feel good while wearing a clear plastic dental retainer, remind her of the nice smile that she will have as the result of wearing it. You can also reassure your child that many people wear retainers and that it is not at all uncommon.

Show your child the proper way to clean and care for the retainer so that it does not dry out or look unsightly due to food getting stuck in it. Some orthodontists even offer retainers with fun characters or designs on them to make wearing one a little bit more bearable for children.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Are braces affordable?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Braces are one of the best values in medicine today. My son had Lasik surgery this past summer and t...
Do orthodontists charge more than dentists?
Gregory R. Cannizzo, DDSGregory R. Cannizzo, DDS
According to a recent survey by a dental web site their results from this same question found that C...
How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Invisaligns are right for you if: Your condition involves tipping or rotation of teeth. Think of...
What are space maintainers made of?
A space maintainer, which a device that keeps a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soo...