How should my child care for their clear plastic dental retainer?

Your child should care for his or her clear plastic dental retainer by cleaning it every day. Usually, you can soak a retainer in mouthwash or a denture-cleaning product to keep it fresh and free of germs. Check with the orthodontist to see how the retainer should be cleaned, since some types should not be cleaned with toothpaste.

Your child should soak the retainer when it’s not in his or her mouth to keep the plastic from drying out. Never put a retainer in hot water or leave it near a heat source, because the plastic can warp. Instruct your child not to flip the retainer around in her mouth, as this can cause the wires to bend. Make sure your child takes special care of her retainer and does not lose it, as it can be expensive to replace.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Can wearing braces boost my self-confidence?
Wearing braces can boost your self-confidence, even while you are wearing them. It is encouraging to...
How old do I have to be to start wearing braces on my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Since abnormal bites usually become noticeable between the ages of 6 and 12, orthodontic treatment o...
How do I know if traditional braces are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Dental brackets (braces) are right for you if: You're below the age of eighteen. Your case is ...
Is orthodontic treatment necessary?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontic treatment not only makes your smile look better, it also make the teeth easier to care f...