How should my child care for their metal braces?

Your child will need to take extra effort to care for his metal braces. Traditional metal braces are brackets that are attached to the front of the teeth, then wired together. It’s easy for food to get stuck in the brackets. To clean the teeth and the braces, your child should brush with a toothbrush and toothpaste after meals. Your child also should floss at least once a day, threading the dental floss in between the teeth to get under the wire. You can buy special dental floss threaders in the grocery store or drugstore. The orthodontist and dentist can also give you samples. Make sure to schedule your child for professional teeth cleaning twice a year.

Your child needs to be more careful about what he eats when wearing metal braces so that they don't break. Hard foods such as crusty bread, ice, popcorn, and hard candy can sometimes break the bracket off the tooth or bend the wire. Also, sticky foods like caramel and taffy can have the same effect. Even healthy foods such as apples and carrots can break the brackets off, so your child should be careful when eating those. Orthodontists recommend cutting down on sugary drinks like soda and juice, which can cause more plaque to form.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What is malocclusion of the teeth?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Malocclusion, (literally, unhealthy-bite), can be caused by underdevelopment of the jaws that hold t...
What are orthodontics and orthodontic treatment?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialty of dentistry. Its focus is on correcting misaligned teeth and j...
Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
What is orthodontics?
Orthodontics is the oldest specialties of dentistry and is focused on the alignment of the teeth and...