Do Invisalign braces hurt?

The process of getting Invisalign braces does not hurt. The orthodontist takes x-rays and impressions of your teeth. The aligners are made specifically for your teeth.

You may experience some gum or tooth soreness after changing each tray, because your teeth are moving. The soreness lasts only a few days, and indicates that the Invisalign braces  are working.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Teeth move in response to forces placed upon them. Constant force pushes a tooth against adjacent ligaments and creates inflammation. This is kind of like a "Charlie-horse" next to the tooth. This inflammation causes your mouth to respond by changing the shape of the bone in the area of the inflammation. After the bone remodels and circulation is restored, your soreness will go away. Teeth cannot tell the difference between force caused by metal braces or plastic aligners. Your teeth will be equally as sore using braces or Invisalign.
Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Invisalign braces are just another type of orthodontic appliance used to create a constant force on the teeth in order to move them. When worn correctly they will move the teeth. Anytime teeth are moved the body produces chemicals to help the teeth move and the bone remodel around the teeth. These chemicals, while helping the body move the teeth will also produce soreness and sensitivity around the teeth.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
When should I take my child to see an orthodontist?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
If your child is approaching the age of seven, it's time to make an appointment for an initial e...
How do orthodontics fit in among all the specialties of dentistry?
Edgar Y. Mendieta, DDSEdgar Y. Mendieta, DDS
An orthodontist has 2-3 years of specialized education beyond dental school and is a specialist at s...
What tools can help me keep my braces and teeth clean?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the best tools for cleaning around braces is a water flosser. A water flosser with a speciali...