Can I get invisible (lingual) braces if I am pregnant?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Having braces while you are pregnant will be no problem at all. There are two things that you need to be careful of however, swollen gums and x-rays. Pregnancy changes the hormonal balance of your body while you're expecting and that change can cause "pregnancy gingivitis" or swollen gums. This is really just an exagerated response to plaque that is ever present in your mouth. The fix is just improved oral hygiene. The x-ray issue is simple... notify your orthodontist that you are pregnant and do not allow him or his staff to take any x-rays of your mouth until after you've delivered.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Why is orthodontic treatment important?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontic treatment is important in order to establish a proper bite and a proper alignment of the...
How do I take care of my teeth if I have braces?
Braces can be dislodged by chewing hard foods or candy, or even chewing on things like pencils. It i...
How can early orthodontic treatment help my child's self-esteem?
Early, or Phase I, orthodontic treatment can help correct problems like severe crowding, teeth that ...
Are antimicrobial rinses okay if I wear braces?
If you wear braces, antimicrobial or antibacterial rinses might only be okay if you are an adult. Th...