What are expanded criteria organs?

Aggressive expanded criteria protocols enable surgeons at both transplant programs to safely use more organs for transplantation. Expanded criteria organs are organs that may not meet the usual criteria for transplantation, but are nevertheless healthy enough for a successful transplant. Organs in this category include those from donors who are older, have hypertension or diabetes, who died from a stroke, or who at the time of their death suffered mild kidney injury. The use of expanded criteria organs is successful, especially among older recipients and those doing poorly on dialysis. It also allows donor organs that might go unused in one region of the country to be matched with appropriate recipients in areas of great demand (such as the New York metropolitan area).

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

What can I do if I am not on a Medicare Part B plan for a transplant?
Methodist Specialty and Transplant HospitalMethodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital
Transplant recipients not eligible for Medicare Part B will have access to immunosuppressive and non...
What is organ donation?
Katrina Bramstedt, PhDKatrina Bramstedt, PhD
Organ donation is the process of removing an organ from a living or deceased donor and giving it to ...
What Is the Promise of Regenerative Medicine?
How Does the Body Self-Regenerate?
How Does the Body Self-Regenerate?