How do I know if transplantation is the right treatment for me?

Transplantation can allow people to live healthy and happy lives. However, transplant is not the best treatment option for everyone.

An organ transplant is an operation that places a healthy organ from another person into your body. The organ can come from people who have died (deceased donors) and have signed their state's donor registry or told their family of their wishes to become a donor. Kidney, kidney-pancreas, pancreas, heart, heart-lung, lung, liver and intestine are all organs able to be transplanted from a deceased donor.

Kidneys may also come from a living donor. This person may be a relative, spouse, friend or even someone who wishes to donate a kidney to anyone in need of a transplant. Living donors can also donate part of a lung, liver, intestine or pancreas, but these types of surgeries are not as common as living kidney donation.

Transplant is a treatment option, not a cure, but you can live a long, productive life if you follow a healthy lifestyle including eating a healthy diet, exercising, and by knowing your individual limitations.

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

What kinds of organ donors are there?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
In addition to the gift of solid organ transplants (heart, lung, liver, kidneys, pancreas, small int...
Can I donate organs as well as my body to medical science?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Total body donation generally is not an option if you choose to be an organ and tissue donor. Howeve...
Will We Be Able to Print 3D Organs?
Will We Be Able to Print 3D Organs?
What Are the Challenges to Growing Human Cells Outside the Body?