If I sign an organ donor card, will my wishes be carried out?

Even if you sign a donor card, it is essential that your family know your wishes. Your family may be asked to sign a consent form to allow the donation to take place.
To learn how organ donation preferences are documented and honored in your town or city, contact your local Organ Procurement Organization (OPO). The OPO can advise you of specific local procedures, such as joining donor registries, which are available to residents in your area.
This answer is based on source information from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

what is a living organ donation ?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Living donation takes place when a living person donates an organ or part of an organ to someone in ...
what are expanded criteria organs ?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Aggressive expanded criteria protocols enable surgeons at both transplant programs to safely use mor...
does a living donor need to be related to the recipient ?
Living donation takes place when a living person donates an organ (or part of an organ) for transpla...
how many people are waiting for organs ?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
According to the United Network for Organ Sharing, more than 114,000 people are on the waitlist for ...