Which organizations are involved with the transplant waiting list?

The United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) is the organization that manages the waiting list for transplants in the United States and matches donors to recipients. Each transplant center's waiting list is part of the national waiting list that UNOS manages. UNOS administers the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN) under contract with the Health Resources and Services Administration of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

The OPTN is a unique public-private partnership that links all of the professionals involved in the donation and transplantation system. The primary goals of the OPTN are to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of organ sharing, to achieve equity in the national system of organ allocation, and to increase the supply of donated organs available for transplantation

Continue Learning about Organ Transplants & Health Care

How do I know if transplantation is the right treatment for me?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Transplantation can allow people to live healthy and happy lives. However, transplant is not the bes...
What happens once a donor becomes available for an organ transplant?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
When a suitable donor becomes available for an organ transplant, the doctor calls the candidate reci...
The Science of Regenerative Medicine
The Science of Regenerative Medicine
Will We Be Able to Print 3D Organs?
Will We Be Able to Print 3D Organs?