What are ways to get more fiber?

No matter your health or fitness level, you should get generous portions of fiber via whole foods. Everyone should consume 30-35 g of fiber per day for health, but while dieting, you should strive to take in 40-45 g of fiber per day. Consume more high-fiber foods such as whole grains (brown rice, oatmeal), whole fruits and vegetables, beans and legumes, and even nuts and seeds.

Another element to consider in choosing foods is the amount of fiber per calorie. Foods such as mixed vegetables are low in calories and high in fiber, making them an efficient food for boosting your total fiber intake without greatly increasing your caloric intake.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Why You Need to Be Careful With Leftover Rice
Jerry Rice, the Hall-of Fame wide receiver for the San Francisco 49ers, has three Super Bowl rings and more records than Frank Sinatra (almost). He’s ...
Can my diet affect my mood?
Samantha Heller, RDSamantha Heller, RD
The foods you eat can have a big impact on your blood sugar and energy levels. Watch this video ...
What are accessory nutrients?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Some nutrients are not considered essential in the same manner that vitamins and minerals are. Among...
What Should I Know Before I Start Drinking Beet Juice Regularly?