What kinds of foods should I limit at home?

Rose Reisman
It's time to do some spring cleaning of your cupboards, fridge and freezer. Don't go overboard. If you know there are some foods you enjoy that aren't the most nutritious, eat them in moderation. Otherwise, the foods you want to eliminate or keep to the bare minimum are the following:
  • Packaged or processed foods, such as high-calorie or high-fat cookies, cakes, candy or other snack foods. These often contain a load of preservatives, artificial color and often hydrogenated vegetable fat or trans fats.
  • White flour products, such as bread, bagels or rolls. They have little nutrition and are high-glycemic index foods, which means they'll raise your blood sugar quickly and leave you hungry shortly after you eat them.
  • Deli-style meats, such as corned beef, salami or any smoked foods. The salt, fat and nitrates are detrimental to your health. They can lead to high blood pressure, stomach cancer, high cholesterol and weight gain.
  • High-fat salad dressings and dips. These offer empty calories with no nutritional benefits.
  • Sugared soft drinks and fruit beverages with sugar. These drinks are just empty calories with a high-glycemic index rating.
  • Ice cream, which has high amounts of saturated fat.
  • Salty foods, such as potato or tortilla chips or nuts. These are high in calories and stimulate your taste buds to eat more.
Rose Reisman's Secrets for Permanent Weight Loss: With 150 Delicious and Healthy Recipes for Success

For the journey toward healthier living. Losing weight can be a constant and frustrating struggle. Rose Reisman's Permanent Weight Loss Solutions creates a blueprint for lifelong weight control that...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

What’s Good for Your Heart Is Good for Your Brain
Keeping your heart as healthy as possible will likely help your mind. Carra Richling from Ornish Lifestyle Medicine will help you learn how your diet ...
When should I consult a nutritionist?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
You may want to consult a nutritionist at the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) website, or ...
What foods can change my mood?
Julie Holland, MDJulie Holland, MD
Foods that can change your mood for the better include complex carbs, and foods that are rich in ome...
What Is Pepsico's Global Nutrition Group?