What is nourishment?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Food in our culture is understood as organic material that goes into our mouths to sustain our bodies. Through my training, I have learned that other cultures and mind-body medicine have an expanded definition of food as nourishment. Nourishment is far beyond the limited context of diet and includes anything we consume into our bodies, minds or souls. Nourishment is all sustenance taken in through our senses into our bodies -- your mouth, ears, eyes, nose, and sense of touch -- and it affects your physical and mental health and subsequent happiness.

Years ago when I was in the world of finance, something of value was called an asset. Webster's Dictionary defines as asset as a resource, valuable, wealth, riches, means, or a fortune. Your body is your greatest asset. Your body, your asset, is born into our world and accrues value or appreciates until fully grown in your late teens or early twenties. Your body reaches a turning point and begins to slowly depreciate after this point. Since our longevity charts tell us you will live to almost 80 years old, this is a lot of time on a depreciation schedule. The choices you make in creating your lifestyle include what you put into your body that will either accelerate or slow down your life depreciation schedule. Only you can make the choices necessary for your greatest resource to experience a life of happiness, health, and prosperity.
A Life in Balance: Nourishing the Four Roots of True Happiness

Nautilus Book Awards Winners for 2007 (category: Self-Help/Psychology/ Personal Growth) "Like many people, Kathleen Hall found that despite great success and material wealth, she had yet to identify...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Why You Need to Add the Monster Radish to Your Diet
Sacagawea was the Shoshone Indian who helped guide Lewis and Clark’s 1805 expedition from Montana to the Pacific. Her bravery and navigational abiliti...
What is a nutrient content claim?
Mary MullenMary Mullen
A nutrient content claim is an FDA-approved word or phrase on a food package related to the nutritio...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
3 Ways to Make a Healthy Snack Healthier