What amino acids can help Phase Two detoxification in the liver?

Leopold D. Galland, MD
The liver performs two phases of detoxification: Phase One (oxidation) and Phase Two (conjugation). In Phase Two, oxidized chemicals are combined with sulfur, specific amino acids, or organic acids, and then excreted in bile. The most important amino acids for Phase Two detoxification are cysteine and methionine.

These two amino acids are the main dietary sources of sulfur, and are found in meat, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy products. Vegetarian sources of cysteine and methionine include nuts, seeds and beans. The usual adult recommended dietary allowance (RDA) of cysteine and methionine is 700 to 1000 mg per day, but is never fixed, because it fluctuates with the liver's burden of toxic compounds. The body's stores of these amino acids are depleted in the process of detoxification, so the greater the toxic stress, the more the body demands.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Benefits of Spirulina
Benefits of Spirulina
Today, Mexico City sits in a dry basin, but back in the 16th century the area was filled with the waters of Lake Texcoco. That was home to the Aztecs,...
Why do I smell like the food I eat?
Eating certain foods can make you smell like that food due to several factors. In this video, Dr...
What are macronutrients?
ChuiceChuice
Macronutrients are energy-providing chemical substances we consume in large quantities. There are th...
3 Ways to Make a Healthy Snack Healthier