What is the history of watermelons?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Watermelons are native to the Kalahari Desert of southern Africa. The first recorded watermelon crop was found in Egypt, as it was depicted in hieroglyphics on tomb walls dating back as far as 3000 Being held in such high regard, watermelons were left as food to nourish the dead in the afterlife. From Egypt, watermelons spread throughout countries along the Mediterranean Sea by way of merchants. They were documented in China in the tenth century, and in the thirteenth century they were introduced to the rest of Europe by the Moors. Ultimately, the watermelon crossed the Atlantic Ocean and made its way to North America with the African slaves. It wasn't until 1615, however, that the word "watermelon" first appeared in the English dictionary. Presently, the Russian Federation grows much of the commercial supply of watermelon. People there even make a very popular wine of watermelons. The other world watermelon- producing leaders are China, Turkey, Iran, and the United States.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Intermittent Fasting: What Really Happens to Your Body
Diet trends come and go. Few stay popular for long, and even fewer are real keepers—healthy, sustainable eating plans designed to keep weight off and ...
What vitamins and nutrients do I need as I get older?
Donna FeldmanDonna Feldman
Getting older doesn't change the vitamins and other nutrients needed for health. An 80 year old need...
Can vinegar help lower my glycemic index (GI)?
Tim FerrissTim Ferriss
There's a great deal of evidence for vinegar lowering the glycemic index of a meal by more than 25%....
Which Fats and Oils Are Healthy?
Which Fats and Oils Are Healthy?