How can I use ratings or symbols to choose healthy foods?

Marilyn Ricci, M.S., R.D.
At this time, there is not a uniform guide to help you. Each store seems to have its own system, so you must become familiar with their criteria. The nutrient panel on a package and the ingredient list are your most reliable tools for choosing healthy foods. Remember the first ingredient in the list of ingredients is the one that is predominant in the food. The nutrient panel gives nutrient information per serving. 
If your store uses shelf-tag symbols to guide healthy choices, find out what the ratings or symbols mean by looking on the supermarket's Web site. Remember that nutrition symbols cannot provide the whole picture on how these foods fit into a healthy lifestyle or apply to every individual. For a personalized guide to healthy shopping, contact a registered dietitian.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Are Nut Butters as Healthy as Nuts?
Are Nut Butters as Healthy as Nuts?
People get a little nutty about peanut butter, but they have a point. Nuts and pure nut butters made from nothing but peanuts (we know it’s a legume, ...
How can eating a healthy diet affect physical appearance?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
If you follow high-nutrient, lower-calorie diet, you will see remarkable physical changes that are t...
What are the benefits of eating micronutrients?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
When you eat with a focus on maximizing micronutrients in relation to calories, your body function w...
What Should I Know About Odd Omega Fatty Acids 3, 5, 7 and 9?