How can I eat healthier at fried chicken chains?

Mary Mullen
Price-wise, it’s hard to beat the family chicken meal deal, but fried chicken is one of the most high-calorie and fattening fast-food options out there! Look for chains that offer grilled chicken. Taking the skin off trims almost half the calories. Make sure you choose some of the lighter side dishes, such as corn on the cob, green beans, bean salad, and mashed potatoes without gravy. Baked beans are a high-protein and high-fiber side that could do double-duty as an entree. Take a pass on desserts such as pie or brownies; most contain too many calories from added fat and sugar.
Healthy Eating, Healthy Weight for Kids and Teens

In a world of fast food, supersized sodas, and televised temptations, this guide shows how to buck the obesity trend currently in the national spotlight—and have fun doing it. Using a family...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Are Eggs Really Bad for Your Heart?
Are Eggs Really Bad for Your Heart?
More good news for Americans who love their protein-packed eggs: New research suggests that a daily egg habit isn’t bad for your heart. For the March...
What are the health benefits of eating dark foods?
Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Blueberries and blackberries receive their coloring from phytonutrient flavonoids. The phytonutrient...
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
These surprising picks may be sabotaging your weight loss plan.
Can I Eat Burgers If I'm Trying to Lose Weight?