How can I eat healthier at fried chicken chains?

Mary Mullen
Price-wise, it’s hard to beat the family chicken meal deal, but fried chicken is one of the most high-calorie and fattening fast-food options out there! Look for chains that offer grilled chicken. Taking the skin off trims almost half the calories. Make sure you choose some of the lighter side dishes, such as corn on the cob, green beans, bean salad, and mashed potatoes without gravy. Baked beans are a high-protein and high-fiber side that could do double-duty as an entree. Take a pass on desserts such as pie or brownies; most contain too many calories from added fat and sugar.
Healthy Eating, Healthy Weight for Kids and Teens

In a world of fast food, supersized sodas, and televised temptations, this guide shows how to buck the obesity trend currently in the national spotlight—and have fun doing it. Using a family...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

The Surprising Link Between Magnesium and Vitamin D
When Magneto—a Marvel Comics human-mutant who generates and controls magnetic fields—teamed up with the X-Men, it came as a surprise that the once-vil...
How does the gliadin in wheat impact my appetite?
William Davis, MDWilliam Davis, MD
Gliadin is a hard-to-digest protein found in wheat that can negatively impact your appetite; it can ...
Why should I see a registered dietitian (RD)?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
A regisitered dietitian (RD) can help you enhance your quality of life by identifying nutritional de...
3 Ways to Make a Healthy Snack Healthier