How does fiber affect the colon?

Dietary fiber can help the colon by regulating bowel movements as it bulks up stools, which allows them to pass through the digestive tract more easily. This helps to prevent constipation and decreases the risk of developing hemorrhoids or diverticulitis.
Fiber improves colon function. Insoluble fiber passes through your body without being digested by you or the bacteria that live in your digestive system. It helps increase bulk and the water content of waste, and this is beneficial because the additional water enhances motility (which helps to make you more regular), and it also helps to dilute carcinogens.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Glyphosates and Carbs: What’s the Harm?
Glyphosates and Carbs: What’s the Harm?
Q: I read that the weed killer glyphosate—the one found responsible for causing cancer in that groundskeeper in California—is showing up in breakfast ...
What foods can help me stay hydrated?
Low energy can be caused by dehydration, which reduces blood volume to the heart, making it harder t...
How do I fuel my energy through my diet?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
To fuel your energy system, you need various nutrients. The B vitamins make up the backbone of energ...
Can Eating Certain Hard Cheeses Help Prevent Cancer?