How does fiber affect the colon?

Dietary fiber can help the colon by regulating bowel movements as it bulks up stools, which allows them to pass through the digestive tract more easily. This helps to prevent constipation and decreases the risk of developing hemorrhoids or diverticulitis.
Fiber improves colon function. Insoluble fiber passes through your body without being digested by you or the bacteria that live in your digestive system. It helps increase bulk and the water content of waste, and this is beneficial because the additional water enhances motility (which helps to make you more regular), and it also helps to dilute carcinogens.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Could MSG Affect Your Waistline?
Could MSG Affect Your Waistline?
Heard about the unpleasant reactions some people may have to monosodium glutamate (MSG)? Well, here's another potential drawback: weight gain. In a C...
What is medical nutrition?
Deborah BeauvaisDeborah Beauvais
Individuals with a variety of conditions and illnesses can improve their health and quality of life ...
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
These surprising picks may be sabotaging your weight loss plan.
Is It Okay to Eat Pasta If I'm Trying to Lose Weight?