Do foods or alcohol interact with tryptophan?

Tryptophan (also called L-tryptophan) is not known to interact with any foods. But alcohol should not be taken with tryptophan, as both substances can make you sleepy.

Tryptophan was linked to the outbreak of a serious neurological condition that led to a number of deaths in 1989. It was temporarily banned, and although it is once again available, it is still considered possibly unsafe, even when taken by itself.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Are Eggs Really Bad for Your Heart?
Are Eggs Really Bad for Your Heart?
More good news for Americans who love their protein-packed eggs: New research suggests that a daily egg habit isn’t bad for your heart. For the March...
Where can I find a dietitian who would help me gain weight?
Amy Jamieson-PetonicAmy Jamieson-Petonic
A registered dietitian can help people that need to gain weight. The most important thing is to gain...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
What Are the Benefits of Eating Leafy Greens?