How often should I eat if I want to lose weight?

Frequency of eating is very important. The more often you eat the better for your metabolic rate however total calories daily must trump everything for weight loss. In an ideal world we would all eat 6 small meals per day of mostly fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, with a small daily amount of lean protein; however this isn't a perfect world and we all have to improvise one way or another. Eat frequently to assist in weight loss but your total calories must be less than your daily need to truly lose weight.

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
If you want to lose weight, less really is more in the energy equation. Give your body less and it will work more efficiently, producing higher energy. Put another way, in order to get the right amount of food without overwhelming the body and forcing it to store energy in the form of fat, you should aim to break up your eating into about three-hour increments. Regular meals spaced about every three to four hours apart help keep the metabolism running in high gear. They also trigger the body to use good calories for fuel and give up the fat. This explains why someone who cuts back on overall calories may struggle to make excess fat go away. The body senses the reduction in calories, goes into survival mode, and holds tightly onto its fat. When food intake is spread throughout the day, however, this tells your body it's getting plenty of energy and can let go of that fat! Simply knowing that you get to eat again in a few hours has hidden benefits; you won't have that last-meal mentality that can lead you to overeat.

Mom Energy: A Simple Plan to Live Fully Charged 

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

How to Cut Calories: Add Fresh Mushrooms
Here's a simple way to slash major calories from some of your favorite comfort foods—and you won't miss a thing. When you're making lasagna, sloppy j...
What types of carbohydrates and fats should I buy?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
Meats, dairy, and oils are foods that typically contain higher amounts of fat. To reduce the amount ...
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss8 Easy Cooking Hacks for Weight Loss
Lose weight (without sacrificing flavor) with these simple food swaps.
What Are the Healthcare Costs of Obesity?