How often should I eat if I want to lose weight?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
If you want to lose weight, less really is more in the energy equation. Give your body less and it will work more efficiently, producing higher energy. Put another way, in order to get the right amount of food without overwhelming the body and forcing it to store energy in the form of fat, you should aim to break up your eating into about three-hour increments. Regular meals spaced about every three to four hours apart help keep the metabolism running in high gear. They also trigger the body to use good calories for fuel and give up the fat. This explains why someone who cuts back on overall calories may struggle to make excess fat go away. The body senses the reduction in calories, goes into survival mode, and holds tightly onto its fat. When food intake is spread throughout the day, however, this tells your body it's getting plenty of energy and can let go of that fat! Simply knowing that you get to eat again in a few hours has hidden benefits; you won't have that last-meal mentality that can lead you to overeat.

Mom Energy: A Simple Plan to Live Fully Charged 

Frequency of eating is very important. The more often you eat the better for your metabolic rate however total calories daily must trump everything for weight loss. In an ideal world we would all eat 6 small meals per day of mostly fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, with a small daily amount of lean protein; however this isn't a perfect world and we all have to improvise one way or another. Eat frequently to assist in weight loss but your total calories must be less than your daily need to truly lose weight.

Continue Learning about Nutrition and Weight Loss

Coffee and Weight Control: Is There a Link?
In the Netflix series Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, Jerry Seinfeld drives around with colleagues like Ricky Gervais (in a 1967 Austin-Healey 3000)...
What are some nutrition tips to help me lose weight?
Dominique AdairDominique Adair
6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight
6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight6 Simple Healthy Eating Tricks for Losing Weight
Shed pounds without ever having to break a sweat.
Can the Chronic Health Issues Seen in Children Be Attributed to Bad Diet?