What are the long-term effects of energy drink consumption?

Jonathan A. Fialkow, MD
Researchers have shown that energy drink consumption can shorten heart contractions over the short-term, which may disrupt the normal function of the heart. Further studies are needed to evaluate the impact of long-term energy drink consumption and the effect of such drinks on individuals with heart disease. In the meantime, it is hoped that people understand the possible risks posed by consuming excessive amounts of caffeine through energy drinks. Those risks may outweigh the desired benefits, and the benefits are extremely minimal.

The long-term effects on our bodies are simply not known. It is therefore best to drink these products in moderation or avoid them altogether.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

One More Reason to Skip the Sodas
One More Reason to Skip the Sodas
You’ve seen the movie: A bump in the attic. A young woman, alone in the house, decides to investigate. Slowly, she ascends the stairs. At the top ther...
How do tea and coffee help me burn calories?
Diane Armstrong, NASM Elite TrainerDiane Armstrong, NASM Elite Trainer
Caffeine does increase metabolism for several hours after it is ingested. For this reason one to tw...
What beverages can I drink to relax?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Today's energy-drink market is flooded with concoctions that wake you up, but what about somethi...
How Can Drinking Coffee Help Me Live Longer?