How does a sports drink actually increase hydration more than water?

A sports drink works to increase hydration in three ways:
  1. Encourages voluntary fluid intake.
  2. Stimulates fast absorption by maximizing gastric emptying and speeding the absorption of solutes (carbohydrates, electrolytes) and fluids into the bloodstream.
  3. Promotes rapid and complete rehydration by providing enough electrolytes in the rehydration beverage to restore and maintain extra-cellular fluid volume, including blood volume.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Studies Link Coffee to Lower Risk of Death
Coffee: You love it, you need it, and the science suggests it's actually pretty good for you. Now, two large studies published by the Annals of Intern...
How does the season affect how much water I need to drink?
Getting adequate fluids (staying hydrated) is always important, and the seasons might affect that go...
What are the health benefits of coconut milk?
Coconut milk is a by-product of the meat of the coconut and has a number of health benefits. It is r...
How Can I Reduce the Calories I Get From Beverages?