Is there a difference between energy drinks and sports drinks?

Kate Geagan

It's easy to be confused by all the promises you see on labels in the beverage aisle. In this video, nutritionist Kate Geagan explains the important differences between energy and sports drinks.

Toby Smithson

Sport drinks are designed to replace fluid and electrolytes that are lost in sweat during exercise. They also provide carbohydrates that are used by the body as a quick form of energy. Most energy drinks contain caffeine and are used by many as a stimulant to enhance performance before and during exercise, but are not viewed as a source of electrolytes. However, use of energy drinks is controversial they may contain unhealthy amounts of caffeine and added sugars. However, sport drinks are more appropriate for use during exercise as they contain the correct ratios of electrolytes like sodium and potassium.

There are many differences, but most important is that energy drinks (i.e. Red Bull) contain stimulants which can have harmful side effects.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

One More Reason to Skip the Sodas
One More Reason to Skip the Sodas
You’ve seen the movie: A bump in the attic. A young woman, alone in the house, decides to investigate. Slowly, she ascends the stairs. At the top ther...
How can I tell if health drinks are really healthy?
Crystal RobertsonCrystal Robertson
You can determine if healthy drinks are truly healthy by reading the label. In this video, Crystal R...
What should my child drink?
What your children drink does more than just quench their thirst. Beverages replace the liquid their...
How Can I Cut Down on High-Calorie Drinks?