Could the diet soda I drink be linked to the premature birth of my baby?

There hasn't been much research done on the safety of these beverages for humans, let alone unborn babies, but a new study has found there may be a link between drinking diet soda and an increased risk of premature birth.

The Danish study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, looked at nearly 60,000 women who reported on their diet how many soft drinks they consumed each day beginning at around 25 weeks of pregnancy. About 5 percent of the women in the study delivered their babies before 37 weeks. Women who had at least one serving of diet soda a day while they were pregnant were 38 percent more likely to deliver pre-term than women who drank no diet soda at all. Women who had at least four diet sodas a day were nearly 80 percent more likely to deliver preterm. The association was the same for normal-weight and overweight women.

The Calorie Control Council, a lobbying group for companies that make and distribute low-calorie foods, released a statement calling the study "misleading." "This study may unduly alarm pregnant women. While this study is counter to the weight of the scientific evidence demonstrating that low-calorie sweeteners are safe for use in pregnancy, research has shown that overweight and obesity can negatively affect pregnancy outcomes," Beth Hubrich, a dietitian with the council, said in the statement. "Further, low-calorie sweeteners can help pregnant women enjoy the taste of sweets without excess calories, leaving room for nutritious foods and beverages without excess weight gain—something that has been shown to be harmful to both the mother and developing baby."

Still, according to the study's authors, only diet soda was linked to preterm delivery and not sugar-sweetened soda, meaning the findings suggest that the artificial sweetener itself, not soda drinking, could account for the relationship. However, they add, other possible causes for the link can't be ruled out.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

8 Top Caffeine Fixes
8 Top Caffeine Fixes
Talk about happy trends. More and more yummy foods that used to be considered bad news are turning out to be good for you. First it was wine. Then oli...
How do I choose a good sports drink?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
A good sports drink should have only a 6% to 8% concentration of carbohydrates (sugars). Too many ca...
Is lots of coffee and alcohol drinking good for the body?
Neal SpruceNeal Spruce
Certainly not "lots" but moderate amounts of both coffee and alcohol have been associated with some ...
What Low Calorie Beverages Can Help Curb My Food Cravings?