Are energy drinks safe for children?

JJ Virgin
Health Education
No. Many are loaded with sugar, artificial sweeteners, and even potentially harmful ingredients. For most kids, filtered water works best. You might want to steep some fresh orange or lemon to provide it a little flavor. For kids who engage in more rigorous exercise, a no-sugar-added electrolyte formula or coconut water can replenish electrolytes.
Deb Kennedy, PhD

Energy drinks are not appropriate for children, due to the high levels of caffeine that most of these drinks contain. In this video, pediatric nutritionist Deb Kennedy, PhD, explains why the caffeine in energy drinks can be harmful to growing kids.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Stop Drinking Added Sugar
Stop Drinking Added Sugar
From Austria to Zimbabwe and more than 43 countries in between, sweet soda is the drink of choice. But here in North America we’ve taken it to a new l...
Can coffee and tea count towards my water intake?
dotFITdotFIT
Yes. Coffee and tea, as I am sure you know from making it or watching it being made, is almost all w...
What are the beverages that hydrate and dehydrate?
The word hydrate comes from the Greek word for water, so the best hydrating beverage is water. It qu...
How Can I Reduce the Calories I Get From Beverages?