What are the side effects of nitrous oxide?

Nitrous oxide, when given by a healthcare professional, rarely has any bothersome side effects. Aside from irritating the throat and lungs, nitrous oxide can cause nosebleeds, coughing spells or inflammation to the breathing passages. However, if it is being abused, nitrous oxide can cause people to be physically uncoordinated and unable to function mentally. In high doses, nitrous oxide can cause hallucination, confusion and paranoia. It also can cause asphyxiation, decreased consciousness, coma or even death, especially when combined with alcohol or barbiturates, such as sleeping pills. Long-term effects of nitrous oxide abuse can cause impared memory, severe mood swings, seizures, tremors, arrhythmias of the heart and possible respiratory depression.

Unless you abuse it, nitrous oxide, a sedative used in dental procedures, should not cause any noticeable side effects after your treatment. While you're receiving nitrous oxide, you may feel foggy or confused and may lose some coordination. Nitrous oxide may also irritate your throat and lungs or give you nosebleeds. Other side effects may include inflammation of your nose and airways and coughing. If you use nitrous oxide a long time, you may hallucinate (seeing things that aren't there) and suffer mood swings and memory loss.

Continue Learning about Nitrous Oxide

What should I know about nitrous oxide before taking it?
With nitrous oxide, you will feel sedated but able to respond. In the small dose that is used fo...
How should I take nitrous oxide?
You will not need to be concerned about how to take nitrous oxide because it will be administere...
Should my child receive nitrous oxide?
Your child should be able to safely receive nitrous oxide if he can handle the plastic tubes in ...
Is nitrous oxide an option to control labor pain?
Saint Joseph Mercy Health SystemSaint Joseph Mercy Health System
Nitrous oxide is an option to control labor pain. Nitrous oxide has long been used during labor in E...