How many different types of neuralgia are there?

There are four main types of neuralgia. Most of them are named after the nerve they affect. Trigeminal neuralgia is the most common and usually causes pain on one side of your face. Glossopharyngeal neuralgia tends to cause pain in the back of your throat or tongue. Occipital neuralgia causes pain in the back of your head and scalp and postherpetic neuralgia causes pain in areas where you have previously had a shingles outbreak.

Continue Learning about Neuralgia

Is there a cure for neuralgia?
If the cause of your neuralgia can be determined you may be able to fix it with surgery. For posther...
How do I care for someone with neuralgia?
There isn't always much you can do to care for someone with neuralgia. Your main responsibility will...
How is trigeminal neuralgia treated?
Treatment options for TN include medicines, surgery and complementary approaches. Anticonvulsant me...
How does neuralgia affect the body?
The cause of neuralgia can't always be determined but it is often the result of a malfunctioning ner...