Can neck injuries cause problems with breathing?

The patient may have trouble breathing if the neck injury is at the first through fifth vertebrae. This is because nerves that branch from the spinal cord at the third, fourth, and fifth levels make the diaphragm contract. The diaphragm is needed for normal breathing.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

How much force would it take to break the neck?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The amount of force needed to break a neck bone is different from person to person. It also depe...
Should I talk to my doctor about my whiplash symptoms?
If you have a mild case of whiplash that goes away within a few days, you probably do not need to ta...
How should I treat a neck sprain?
A patient with a neck sprain should rest, apply ice, and stay away from activities that cause pa...
How do medications treat whiplash?
Over-the-counter medication like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) relieve pain that is ...