Can neck injuries cause problems with breathing?

The patient may have trouble breathing if the neck injury is at the first through fifth vertebrae. This is because nerves that branch from the spinal cord at the third, fourth, and fifth levels make the diaphragm contract. The diaphragm is needed for normal breathing.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Alabama Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Neck Injury

Should I talk to my doctor about my whiplash symptoms?
If you have a mild case of whiplash that goes away within a few days, you probably do not need to ta...
Should I remove a football player's equipment if he may have a neck injury?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Only the face mask should be removed when a football player is thought to have a neck injury. Ta...
What are the symptoms of a stinger injury?
Common symptoms of a stinger include burning, numbness, tingling, loss of the sense of touch, an...
How much force would it take to break the neck?
The amount of force needed to break a neck bone is different from person to person. It also depe...