Should I stop seeing my family doctor if I go to a naturopath?

Dr. Christopher Maloney, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

In the process of working with a Naturopathic Doctor, many patients find that their relationship to their health and health care providers changes. In some cases this involves finding a new primary care doctor who is willing to work with the patient as he or she wishes to explore different avenues toward health.

It is ultimately in the patient's best interest to have many options for medical advice. But the most long-lived and healthiest patients have realized that health care providers work for them as advisors. If your primary care doctor is unwilling or unable to work with your other providers, it is worth looking around for one who is.

Steven V. Gurland, MD
You should continue to have a relationship with your family doctor even if you see a Naturopathic physician. There are many conditions which will require diagnosis and treatment that is not taken care of by Naturopathy.
Dr. Robin Miller, MD
I would not recommend leaving your family doctor if you are seeing a naturopath. Both practitioners have valuable things to offer. Naturopaths utilize a variety of treatment modalities to maintain health and healing such as nutrition, exercise, acupuncture, massage and herbal remedies. They often do not utilize conventional medications and do not usually recommend vaccines.

Your family doctor can help with preventive vaccines and medications for any medical conditions that you may have. Common problems such as high blood pressure, heart disease, and pneumonia require conventional evaluations and medication,

I would recommend having both practitioners on your medical team.

You should still see your family physician for any serious health problems. Naturopathy can be a valuable addition to your health care, however prescription drugs and conventional treatment may be needed for certain conditions. You should inform your family doctor that you are seeking alternative care. Let all health care providers know about any medications or herbal or homeopathic remedies you may be taking to avoid interactions.

Continue Learning about Naturopathy

Cure Your Cough with a Spoonful of Honey
If you told our Stone Age relatives to “mind your own beeswax,” they could have done just that, say researchers from the UK’s University of Bristol. T...
What should I know before I try naturopathic medicine?
Shauna M. Birdsall, NDShauna M. Birdsall, ND
Naturopathic Medicine is a system of medicine that can treat a wide range of conditions. Naturopathi...
When should I consult with a doctor of naturopathy?
Dr. Christopher Maloney, NDDr. Christopher Maloney, ND
The most effective use of an N.D. is prior to becoming ill. While most of my patients see me after t...
Can Naturopathy Prevent Disease?
Can Naturopathy Prevent Disease?