Why are so many people nearsighted?

Many researchers believe that the reason why so many people are nearsighted (meaning they can't see far away) is because we don't need distance vision anymore.

Several generations ago, nearsightedness was nearly unheard of among Alaskans, because they were continually looking out to the horizon for information about the weather. Two generations later, and with the incarnation of TV and computers, 30 percent of Inuit kids are nearsighted. Similarly, the Nepalese people believe that those with problems seeing distance should stare at the moon to help exercise and train their eyes to see far away.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Myopia (Nearsightedness)

How do I prepare to see my doctor about my low myopia?
To help prepare for an eye doctor appointment for your low myopia symptoms, you may want to prepare ...
Does late adult onset myopia affect adults differently than children?
Myopia can affect anyone at any age. However, diagnosis of late adult onset myopia indicates that th...
What type of doctor should I see to address youth onset myopia?
There are three types of professionals who provide eye care: ophthalmologists, optometrists, and opt...
What causes blurry vision while driving at night?
Lee R. Duffner, MDLee R. Duffner, MD
Blurred vision when driving at night indicates that you have probably developed some myopia (nea...