How effective is music therapy at reducing pain?

Nimesh P. Nagarsheth, MD
Gynecologic Oncology
A comprehensive review of 51 well-conducted studies evaluating whether music aids in pain relief concluded that listening to music reduces both pain intensity and narcotic (pain medicine) requirements in patients. In the music therapy world, participating in the creation of music may be just as important as listening to music, and both are emphasized in patients who are physically and emotionally able. In fact, in a recent study of children with cancer, an active musical engagement strategy was more beneficial than passively listening to music or audio storybooks.
Music And Cancer: A Prescription For Healing

From diagnosis to end-of-life care to the meaning behind life with cancer, Music and Cancer: A Prescription for Healing is designed to improve the quality of life of people affected by cancer in a...

Continue Learning about Music Therapy

Sing for Your Health!
Sing for Your Health!
Seven-time Grammy Award winner Gladys Knight first recorded “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” in 1967. Since those early days, the indefatigable Ms. ...
How can music benefit my health?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Studies show that listening to classical music, in addition to providing personal enjoyment, helps h...
Can music help heal disease and mental problems?
Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
For thousands of years, music has been used in medicine. Ancient Greek philosophers believed that mu...
Music Builds Brain Power
Music Builds Brain Power