Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?

Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but full immunity requires either two doses of the vaccine or complete recovery from mumps infection. Young children remain at risk for contracting mumps if they have not been vaccinated. If your child develops mumps, telling your child's school about the infection can help make staff, parents, and children aware that they are at a higher than usual risk for contracting the virus, and can help protect other children from contracting the disease.

Continue Learning about Mumps

What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...
Does mumps affect children differently than adults?
Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms ...
How do other illnesses affect mumps?
Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigge...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have mumps?
If you have mumps, take it easy. Rest in bed and stay well-hydrated until your fever has broken....