Is mumps serious?

Most people who contract the virus that causes mumps recover without lasting ill effects. However, mumps has the potential to cause serious, even life-threatening, complications. Complications of mumps include pancreatitis, encephalitis, meningitis, inflammation of the testicles or ovaries, hearing loss and possibly miscarriage. These complications are rare, but you should still seek medical attention if you contract mumps. If you develop any of the complications of mumps, medical treatment may help you recover from them.

Continue Learning about Mumps

Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...
How long does mumps last?
The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Sympt...
What can happen if my child does not get the mumps vaccine?
Before the mumps vaccine was introduced, mumps caused deafness in some children. Widespread use ...
What do disorientation and confusion mean if I have mumps?
If you experience feelings of disorientation or confusion during mumps infection, you could have dev...