Is mumps serious?

Most people who contract the virus that causes mumps recover without lasting ill effects. However, mumps has the potential to cause serious, even life-threatening, complications. Complications of mumps include pancreatitis, encephalitis, meningitis, inflammation of the testicles or ovaries, hearing loss and possibly miscarriage. These complications are rare, but you should still seek medical attention if you contract mumps. If you develop any of the complications of mumps, medical treatment may help you recover from them.

Continue Learning about Mumps

How long does mumps last?
The symptoms of mumps usually begin two or three weeks after you are exposed to the virus. Sympt...
What should I do if my partner has mumps?
If your partner, family member or someone around you has mumps, you should not get sick if you a...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with mumps?
If you are caring for a loved one with mumps, make sure that person gets plenty of rest and drinks l...
If my child has mumps, when should I call the doctor?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Call your child’s doctor right away if you suspect your child has the mumps. Your child should not b...