Is mumps serious?

Most people who contract the virus that causes mumps recover without lasting ill effects. However, mumps has the potential to cause serious, even life-threatening, complications. Complications of mumps include pancreatitis, encephalitis, meningitis, inflammation of the testicles or ovaries, hearing loss and possibly miscarriage. These complications are rare, but you should still seek medical attention if you contract mumps. If you develop any of the complications of mumps, medical treatment may help you recover from them.

Continue Learning about Mumps

Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...
Does mumps affect children differently than adults?
Both adults and children who become infected with mumps are likely to display the same symptoms ...
What does abdominal pain mean if I have mumps?
If you have mumps and you experience abdominal pain, it could be a symptom of one of the many rare b...
What do disorientation and confusion mean if I have mumps?
If you experience feelings of disorientation or confusion during mumps infection, you could have dev...