How common is mumps?

Mumps is a very contagious viral disease that was once quite common. Vaccines against mumps appeared in the 1960s, and since then vaccination against mumps has become routine. You need to receive two doses of the mumps vaccine during your lifetime in order to enjoy full immunity. Most people receive these vaccinations as children. Because the use of the mumps vaccine is so widespread, mumps has become far less common than it once was. Today, mumps is generally considered relatively rare. <.p>

Continue Learning about Mumps

What is mumps?
Mumps is a contagious viral infection that causes painful, swollen salivary glands. It is transm...
How do other illnesses affect mumps?
Conditions that weaken the immune system may make you more likely to contract mumps, but the bigge...
Should I tell my child's school about their mumps?
Mumps is a very contagious viral disease. Most children are vaccinated against mumps in infancy, but...
What do disorientation and confusion mean if I have mumps?
If you experience feelings of disorientation or confusion during mumps infection, you could have dev...