If I have MRSA, does my baby's umbilical cord require any special care?

If you have MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, your baby’s umbilical cord does not require special care, except for keeping it clean and dry. If there is any drainage around the cord, wipe it clean with a warm, wet washcloth and let it dry.

Call your baby’s doctor if you notice:
  • Areas of redness, swelling, or tenderness on the skin or around the umbilical cord.
  • Development of pus-filled blisters on the skin or around the umbilical cord.

Continue Learning about MRSA

How do I prevent getting or spreading MRSA?
There are things you can do to help methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) from spreadin...
How is MRSA infection treated after surgery?
Michael A. Zadeh, MDMichael A. Zadeh, MD
MRSA stands for Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus. This is a bacterial organism that is re...
Why Is It so Difficult to Treat MRSA?
Why Is It so Difficult to Treat MRSA?
Who Is Most at Risk for MRSA?
Who Is Most at Risk for MRSA?