How do medications treat methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus?

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is known for being resistant to antibiotics, but even MRSA acquired from hospitals has been known to respond to certain medications. Some of these include ceftobiprole, vancomycin, linezolid, or daptomycin. All of these medications attack the bacteria that causes MRSA. Ointments that contain bacitracin, neomycin, or polymyxin B fight the bacteria and help to relieve the painful symptoms. Intravenous antibiotics may be administered if the infection is more severe than usual.

Continue Learning about MRSA

Why is MRSA an antibiotic resistant infection?
Ronald G. Glass, DDSRonald G. Glass, DDS
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is resistant to methicillin (a broad-spectrum ant...
What will happen if I have MRSA and my baby is to be adopted?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, and the baby is to be adopted, ...
Don’t Let Childhood Cuts Turn into a MRSA Infection
Why Is It so Difficult to Treat MRSA?
Why Is It so Difficult to Treat MRSA?