Who can get motion sickness?

Motion sickness is especially common in children, and it is more common in women than in men. However, anyone can get motion sickness and most people have experienced it at one time or another.

Evidence suggests that motion sickness affects as many as:

• 33%-50% of passengers on a plane flight with heavy turbulence
  • 100% of cruise ship passengers in rough seas
  • Approximately 28% of passengers traveling by bus
There are several factors that may affect your likelihood of experiencing motion sickness.

There may be a genetic component, so if you have relatives who experience motion sickness, you are more likely to struggle with it as well. Also, if you've experienced motion sickness in the past, you are more likely to experience it during future travels or trigger exposures.

Long, rough travel by boat, plane, car, bus or train, as well as travel that includes lots of directional changes or variations in speed, will increase the chance of symptoms. Exposure to unpleasant odors or fumes and/or poor ventilation also bring about the likelihood of motion sickness symptoms.

Although they do not trigger motion sickness, feelings of fear or anxiety are known to lower the threshold for motion sickness symptoms.

Certain conditions that may increase a person's risk of experiencing motion sickness include:
  • pregnancy and menstruation
  • illness or poor health
  • a hangover
  • being overly tired

Finally, any medications that list nausea or vomiting as potential side effects, such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, estrogens or antibiotics, may make motion sickness symptoms more likely.

Continue Learning about Motion Sickness

What are some home remedies for motion sickness?
Early research indicates that the following non-medication alternative therapies may be helpful ...
What can make me feel better when I have motion sickness?
People who experience vomiting as a symptom of motion sickness need to be careful not to become ...
What are the symptoms of motion sickness?
The most common symptoms of motion sickness include dizziness, nausea, and vomiting. People suff...
How should I choose a medication for motion sickness?
A number of over-the-counter and prescription medications are used to help prevent motion sickne...