Which medical professionals can treat motion sickness?

A number of different healthcare professionals are available for evaluation and treatment of motion sickness.

• Family practitioners specialize in treating a wide variety of patients (women, children, older patients, etc.) and conditions such as dizziness, nausea and vomiting related to motion sickness.
  • Gastroenterologists treat disorders of the gastrointestinal tract including the esophagus, stomach, and intestines. A gastroenterologist may manage nausea and vomiting.
  • Internists provide primary care and treatment for common conditions including motion sickness.
  • Neurologists treat disorders of the brain and central nervous system. They may evaluate dizziness and vertigo.
  • Obstetricians/gynecologists specialize in the treatment of female reproductive health. They may manage morning sickness and pregnancy-related motion sickness.
  • Otolaryngologists specialize in the treatment of ear, nose and throat disorders. They evaluate and treat conditions involving the inner ear, such as motion sickness.
  • Psychiatrists can prescribe medications to treat fear, anxiety and depression that may be related to motion sickness.
  • Psychologists may help people overcome fear and anxiety related to motion sickness. They may utilize cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and relaxation techniques, such as biofeedback, guided imagery or deep breathing.

Continue Learning about Motion Sickness

How should I choose a medication for motion sickness?
A number of over-the-counter and prescription medications are used to help prevent motion sickne...
How can I stop my motion sickness?
Common symptoms of motion sickness are nausea and dizziness. In this video, Dr. Oz gives some he...
What can make me feel better when I have motion sickness?
People who experience vomiting as a symptom of motion sickness need to be careful not to become ...
Can the symptoms of motion sickness mimic other conditions?
Some of the symptoms of motion sickness may mimic those of pregnancy-related morning sickness, v...