How should I take chromium?

If you take a multivitamin/mineral supplement, it likely contains chromium, an essential mineral. If you take chromium as an individual supplement, it will likely be sold in doses that typically range from 50 micrograms (mcg) to 200 mcg.

Chromium supplements are available in many forms, including chromium chloride, chromium nicotinate, chromium picolinate, high-chromium yeast and chromium citrate. Chromium chloride appears to be poorly absorbed and used by the body, but it is not clear which of the other forms is best to take.

Very high doses of chromium (above 200 mcg) are marketed for weight loss and body building, but studies show these doses don't work and may be dangerous.

Most chromium supplements are taken once a day, but follow directions on the product you purchase. If you have questions, talk to your pharmacist about how to take chromium supplements.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Feel Stronger with This Mineral
Been feeling like a wet dishrag lately? Could be you're low on magnesium. Magnesium is a multitasking mineral, and one of its jobs is to power up our...
How much ferrous sulfate should I take?
Your dose of ferrous sulfate may depend on your reasons for taking this supplement. You should discu...
Is cobalt safe for pregnant women or nursing mothers?
No one knows if it's safe for pregnant women or nursing mothers to take cobalt supplements. Ther...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young