How should I take chromium?

If you take a multivitamin/mineral supplement, it likely contains chromium, an essential mineral. If you take chromium as an individual supplement, it will likely be sold in doses that typically range from 50 micrograms (mcg) to 200 mcg.

Chromium supplements are available in many forms, including chromium chloride, chromium nicotinate, chromium picolinate, high-chromium yeast and chromium citrate. Chromium chloride appears to be poorly absorbed and used by the body, but it is not clear which of the other forms is best to take.

Very high doses of chromium (above 200 mcg) are marketed for weight loss and body building, but studies show these doses don't work and may be dangerous.

Most chromium supplements are taken once a day, but follow directions on the product you purchase. If you have questions, talk to your pharmacist about how to take chromium supplements.

Continue Learning about Minerals

Calcium Where You Least Expect It
Calcium Where You Least Expect It
If you don't do dairy -- or dairy doesn't agree with you -- it's easy to get your calcium in pills. But you miss the extras that you get by eating foo...
Can mineral supplements lower blood glucose levels?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Many minerals, including chromium, magnesium, selenium, and zinc, have been promoted by popular maga...
How much ferrous sulfate should I take?
Your dose of ferrous sulfate may depend on your reasons for taking this supplement. You should discu...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young