Should I let my doctor know I'm taking phosphorus?

Because it can interact with a number of different medicines, you should let your doctor know if you are taking phosphorus supplements. For instance, phosphorus might prevent iron supplements from being absorbed properly in your body. Conversely, some antacids and bile medications might prevent phosphorus from being absorbed. Also, phosphorus may interact with medicines that affect the level of electrolytes in your body, including anti-inflammatory medications and salt substitutes. Additionally, calcium supplements in combination with phosphorus may lead to hardened calcium deposits forming in your body.

Continue Learning about Phosphorus

What is phosphorus?
Phosphorus is a mineral found mostly in foods like beans, nuts, dairy products, fish, chicken and ot...
What should I know before taking phosphorus supplements?
There are certain precautions to know before you take phosphorus. Before starting on this supplement...
What foods should I avoid that are high in phosphorus?
dotFITdotFIT
Phosphorus, a mineral found in bones is responsible for healthy, strong bones and teeth. It is the s...
Is phosphorus safe for pregnant women or nursing mothers?
The effect that phosphorus has on pregnant and breast-feeding women is currently unclear. It is ...