Can physical therapy reduce the risk of falling?

David Hogarth
Physical Therapy

Yes, the risk of falling can be reduced with measures to improve the environment in which you live and improving your strength, balance, and ability to react to near falls.

As we discussed in the question considering the fear of falling; the danger of the fall resulting in fractures and subsequent medical complications is a major risk for an ageing individual and the population as a whole. The prevalence and consequences of falls have been studied the world over and there is a growing consensus in the literature that there are some effective prevention methods. One of the best levels of evidence, a Cochrane systematic review in 2009, noted that environmental safety measures and exercise are two of the main interventions proven to reduce the risk falls. Therefore working with a physical therapist can help you reduce your fear of falling by helping you implement safety precautions (such as removing rugs and choosing appropriate footwear) and providing guidance on appropriate level exercise to improve strength, balance, and mobility.

Continue Learning about Mind-Body Therapies

What does inner healing involve?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Inner healing involves moving from darkness to the light. "Light" is a word that has different meani...
How can I practice visualization?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
Here's how to practice visualization: Find a quiet, comfortable place where you won’t be disturbed...
What Elements Make an Athlete Extra-Successful?
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?