Can physical therapy reduce the risk of falling?

David Hogarth
Physical Therapy

Yes, the risk of falling can be reduced with measures to improve the environment in which you live and improving your strength, balance, and ability to react to near falls.

As we discussed in the question considering the fear of falling; the danger of the fall resulting in fractures and subsequent medical complications is a major risk for an ageing individual and the population as a whole. The prevalence and consequences of falls have been studied the world over and there is a growing consensus in the literature that there are some effective prevention methods. One of the best levels of evidence, a Cochrane systematic review in 2009, noted that environmental safety measures and exercise are two of the main interventions proven to reduce the risk falls. Therefore working with a physical therapist can help you reduce your fear of falling by helping you implement safety precautions (such as removing rugs and choosing appropriate footwear) and providing guidance on appropriate level exercise to improve strength, balance, and mobility.

Continue Learning about Mind-Body Therapies

Chair Yoga: Maintaining Your Comfort Zone
Photo Credit: Vincent Gallegos, via Flickr Creative Commons To stay true to your needs during your yoga postures, you may need more support than just...
How often do I need a day of rest?
Michael B. Finkelstein, MDMichael B. Finkelstein, MD
Be sure to take a full day of rest, once a week. In some cultures, the day of rest is called a "Sabb...
How can I use visualization and imagery to relax?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Remember the last time you were on vacation and it embodied every definition of that word? You can g...
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?
Can I Cure Myself Through Thought?