What are ways to prevent menstrual migraine?

Women who experience severe menstrual migraine attacks may be candidates for preventive therapy, which aims to decrease the frequency and severity of the attacks.

• Preventive, or prophylactic, drugs include NSAIDs, ergotamines, triptans, methysergide, and methylergonovine. Magnesium supplements also have preventive value.
  • Naproxen sodium has been shown to be particularly effective for treatment-resistant menstrual migraines.

If these treatment approaches prove to be ineffective, a physician may prescribe hormone therapy.

Continue Learning about Migraine Headache Prevention

News: FDA Approves New Drug for Migraine Prevention
    Migraines, a type of moderate-to-severe headache, affect 39 million Americans and a whopping 1 billion people around the world, according to the Migra...
    What should my teen do to avoid getting migraine headaches?
    Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
    The onset of migraines is often affected by menstruation and certain foods. In this video, Dr. R...
    What are strategies for preventing a migraine when I go to parties?
    Audrey L. Halpern, MDAudrey L. Halpern, MD
    At parties and holiday meals, the food and drink is in abundance, and you look forward to it eve...
    What Makes Botox Work for Migraines?
    What Makes Botox Work for Migraines?