The most important thing I tell my patients is that everyone is different- meaning, each of our bodies react to foods and other triggers differently. Don't assume because you have a friend that can't eat lactose, wheat, or peanut butter because of their headaches- that you can't either. It's all about trial and error and finding triggers specific to you. Having said that, there are a few items that are commonly not well tolerated by migraine patients including anything containing MSG, processed meats with nitrites, red wine, and artificial sweeteners. If you are having a difficult time controlling your headaches a good first step would be limiting your intake of the above substances.
- Q What are strategies for preventing a migraine when I go to parties?
- Q What are natural ways to prevent migraines?
- Q What activities should someone with migraine headaches avoid?
- Q What medications can I take to treat and prevent acute migraines?
- Q What can help me prevent a migraine on vacation?
- Q What are ways to prevent menstrual migraine?