How can varying my daily routine benefit my brain?

One good suggestion for improving your brain function in everyday life: Get out of that rut. At work, many people follow the same routine every day: Get coffee, sit down, check eBay, get more coffee, return e-mails, take bathroom break, do paperwork, call client, grab lunch, get yelled at by boss, and so on.

Of course, only your boss can tell you how to do your job, but I'd like to suggest that you switch up the order every once in a while.

Following the same routine every day will not stimulate your hippocampus-the part of the brain most responsible for memory. To keep your mind active, simply try to vary your routine at work or at home. Start with calls to your client, or write your report first instead of last. Whatever your normal routine is, change the order.

YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Continue Learning about Mental Fitness & Nervous System

An Easy Trick to Strengthen Concentration
The TV game show Concentration ran almost without interruption from 1958 to 1991, until at last its fans became permanen...
How is exercise good for the brain?
Exercise is not only important for your heart, lungs, and muscles, but also for your brain. Research...
How can chatting keep my mind sharp?
AARPAARP
Instead of popping in another movie rental, pick up the phone. Talking with someone else not only ge...
Learn a Language to Build Your Brain
Learn a Language to Build Your Brain