How can varying my daily routine benefit my brain?

One good suggestion for improving your brain function in everyday life: Get out of that rut. At work, many people follow the same routine every day: Get coffee, sit down, check eBay, get more coffee, return e-mails, take bathroom break, do paperwork, call client, grab lunch, get yelled at by boss, and so on.

Of course, only your boss can tell you how to do your job, but I'd like to suggest that you switch up the order every once in a while.

Following the same routine every day will not stimulate your hippocampus-the part of the brain most responsible for memory. To keep your mind active, simply try to vary your routine at work or at home. Start with calls to your client, or write your report first instead of last. Whatever your normal routine is, change the order.

YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Continue Learning about Mental Fitness & Nervous System

Beef Up Your Brain with Exercise
Beef Up Your Brain with Exercise
In the 1988 movie Twins, Julius and Vincent Benedict (Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito) are the result of an experiment to produce the perfect c...
Why is playing a musical instrument a healthy activity for my brain?
AARPAARP
Frequently tickling the ivories or blowing a horn, especially if you're trying to master it, is asso...
What are the benefits of learning a foreign language?
AARPAARP
You don't have to be a linguist to benefit from learning a new language. Adopting a foreign tongue b...
Banish Distractions to Improve Your Concentration