Can seizure medication affect a man's fertility?

If a man has a normal semen analysis (normal concentration of sperm, normal amount moving and normal shapes of the sperm), it is unlikely that his anti-seizure medication will affect his fertility. If the medicine were affecting his fertility in a substantive way, this would be detected in the semen analysis.

That being said, there is clinical evidence that some medications used to treat epilepsy (such as valproic acid, oxcarbazepine and carbamazepine) might negatively impact hormonal levels in a way that increases sperm morphologic defects.

Continue Learning about Men's Sexual & Reproductive Health

The Top Health Benefits of Sex
The Top Health Benefits of Sex
There are a lot of great reasons to get excited about that time between the sheets with your partner. It feels so good—that goes without saying—but di...
What lifestyle changes can men make for healthier sperm?
Men can make the following lifestyle changes for healthier sperm: Stop smoking. Nicotine reduces...
How can I keep my sperm healthy?
Take these steps -- starting today -- for super-swimmer sperm:Eat little to no bad fats and more g...
Is It Important to Look For Psychological Causes of Erectile Dysfunction?